Re: (ET) Deck Motor Alternate Use

Why do you need DC for speed control?   My forge blower is a 120vac motor, and when I plug it into my ancient variac I get continuously variable speed on the motor just by turning the knob.

My variac looks like the one in this picture:  http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-10/what-variac

My knowledge of electric motors is empirical and (in my opinion) very weak, so I apologise if the above sounds stupid.  I have no idea what kind of motor is on the forge blower, but it's definitely meant to run 120vac, there's no rectifiers or whatnot at all.

--Charlie

i don't need a 120vac motor. Got lots of those. I need a DC motor so i can make it a variable speed drive. In order to make AC variable speed i would need to get a 3ph motor and use a VFD. The DC setup is cheaper.