(ET) Tire Chains

There is another potentially interesting parameter related to tire chains -- the "density" of the cross-links. My I-5 with snowthrower has 4-link chains on the rears, whereas my E15 with snowplow has the "denser" (better?) 2-link chains. A series of recent storms left layers of slush, ice, and dripping wet snow. The I-5 navigated that mess just fine, but the E15 had practically no traction, something that hasn't happened to me before now.

Careful investigation (a quick look!) showed that the E15 tires were completely packed with frozen slush and ice, such that the tires turned into nice smooth ice cylinders instead of rubber tires with grippy chains. A small hammer was sufficient to break up the new ice "tread" and restore the E15's previous ability to climb the driveway slope and actually remove snow. The wider spacing on the I-5's 4-link chains prevented the icy build-up.

This might be a case where 4-link chains are better than 2-link.

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY  I-5 and E15