Re: (ET) chain

Doug,

  Seems straight forward.  I jack the tractor up and put them around but use #12 solid wire to act as the tighteners on each side.  That allows me to remove them without pulling the wheel and the rubber ones break and are harder to put on.  The wire goes thru the chain to make a star pattern.

…Walt

From: Doug McCorkle [mailto:dmccorkl sover net]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:31 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) chain

I keep seeing all these complicated ways of putting chains on!  Granted, my tires are old and hard, and I have hilly terrain to mow so I leave mine on all year, but, IIRC, when I put mine on a few years ago:

               lay them out straight on the ground

               drive onto them so the tires are in the middle of the chains

               wrap them around and fasten them up!

Is there something I was missing and should have made it harder?

I think that's basically how one puts chains on cars, although I don't have to do that, either.

Doug McCorkle

Alltraxed E15 on perpetual chains