Re: (ET) L/A charging

Lead acid batteries can not be charged at thousands of amps! Major manufacturers, Rolls, Trojan, etc. recommend charging at C/10 to C/20. For a Trojan 105 ,C20 (their recommendation) = ~5 amps. Fast charging L/A batteries causes plates to warp which greatly shortens battery life. L/A batteries are rated for amp/hours, a Rolls 530S for example is rated to give 530 amps for one hour. After one hour the battery is completely exhausted. Batteries should never be discharged to this extent. the rule is to keep the discharge to no greater than 50% ever and even this is drastic because L/A battery life is rated in cycles. Discharging to 50% may yield 300 to 500 cycles, while discharging to 85% may yield 1500 to 2000 cycles. Discharging an L/A battery at 1000's of amps will very likely cause an explosion! Li-Ion for example can be charged at higher rates so comparatively L/A is "sluggish".
Hope this helps.
Rob

The page on lead battery charging says " Lead acid is sluggish and cannot
be
charged as quickly as other battery systems."  I'm not an electrochemist,
but I don't see how they can say that.  As long as you monitor its
temperature, an AGM lead battery can be charged about as fast as it can be
discharged, as long as you're below 80% SOC.  We're talking thousands of
amps.  I certainly wouldn't call that "sluggish."

------------------------------

Message: 2
Perhaps it should be called "Battery Community College" rather then university.

> I came across the "Battery University" website. Some interesting
> information:

The page on lead battery charging says " Lead acid is sluggish and cannot be
charged as quickly as other battery systems."  I'm not an electrochemist,
but I don't see how they can say that.  As long as you monitor its
temperature, an AGM lead battery can be charged about as fast as it can be
discharged, as long as you're below 80% SOC.  We're talking thousands of
amps.  I certainly wouldn't call that "sluggish."

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Message: 3