Re: (ET) ET running costs

Personally I think $900 for a set is a little steep. 700 or so is what I paid a couple of years ago, but that may have gone up.

Even $900 over 8 years...Well, that isn't bad.  I use mine for mowing, plowing, snow blowing, rototilling, tree removal, ...just about anything I can manage with it.

If you compare it with an ICE tractor:  You need gas of course, and probably a carb kit/ sping-fall tune up, oil changes, etc.   When I last had an ICE tractor, it was $70 for a spring tune up.  New plugs, gas filter, oil change, air filter, etc.  Mowing was between .75 to 1.2 hours of use per gallon. (Apr - Sep, mowing around 4 times a month)  So, around a half gallon to do my yard.  Then a small amount of gas and oil to string trim (Plus a $15 yearly tune up on it).  In the winter my snow blower would use 1/2 gallon or so to do my driveway (plus a $35 yearly tune up for it too).  Plus a new starter battery for the snow blower and tractor every 3 years...25ish a pop.  Plus the rototiller for the garden.  We didn't have one, so we rented, and had to pay for gas.

So for me I had around $112 a year fees just in tune ups.(There is a cost of ET batteries)  Replacement starter batteries over 6 years: $100 (150 over 9 years).  Then ~20 gallons of gas for mowing/string trimming in a season.  Then maybe 5 to 10 gallons for snow blowing.  Figure 28 gallons for a year....at whatever it costs at the time.  Even if you said 28 gallons cost $100 (~3.57 a gallon), then over 8 years the ICE setup cost me $900 more then the ET.

That's not to say I have not incurred costs with the ET.  I have replaced a F/R switch, a couple of lights, a belt, sharpen blades, etc.  But these are also costs that I had with the ICE tractor, so they negate each other.

And as Rob said: "never mind those winter starts that don't start".  I had ONE time that the snow blower didn't start when I flipped the switch...traced it back to a defective circuit breaker.  In that case I put the plow on until the CB was replaced. :)

But that's not the end of the story.  How many times have I used my tractor as a battery backup in the past?  I can think of 5.  Once for ever 2 days with no power.  We lived off that tractor for those 2 days.  Lights, sump pump, microwave, hot place, 2 refrigerators, 2 laptops (My wife and I work from home), etc.  The batteries in the tractors have paid for them selves (in our case), many times over, and there is still a lot of life left in them.

Like you Rob, I also charge from PV.  It really costs us nothing additional to run the tractors, for us the ROI is WELL worth it.

Brian