Re: (ET) Inrush current

John,
Thanks for the perspective.
I'll try to give an overall project view as I progress along and when the circuit is done I'll explain the design philosophy for each aspect of the circuit, I'm just finishing an audio design right now, I think the battery charger will be next but I might jump right into the controller.
Anyway one of the things I'm going to try to do about inrush current is to circumvent a lot of the problem in the microcontroller to PWM algorithm. Every time a change takes place, forward/reverse, initial power on, etc. I'm going to 'slowly' ramp up the PWM by way of the uC to minimize the surge current. One of the things I'll have to test is how long  a ramp I'll need to reach full power. In short I'm going to try and control the current at every aspect of the design right down to current limiting from sensing circuits that feed back to the uC to control the PWM. We'll see how it all works out, what I might do is design a small circuit for the lift motor to get a better feel of the bigger design.
Well, it's time to put this down and go help cook for the Holiday, Happy New Year everyone!

Rob