Re: (ET) Testing lift motor at higher voltages

Thirty-six volts is the maximum rating for most automotive switchgear currently.The much touted move to a 42 volt nominal automotive electrical system has apparently been held up by difficulty with arc quenching in switchgear and circuit protection devices.

RJ

On 12/23/2012 7:28 PM, Christopher Zach wrote:
That's because the internal breaker is rated for 12 volts. No problem
there,
it can probably open a 12 volt shorted load all day.

18 volts less so, 30 volts and it isn't going to happen :-) But you need
30a
at 12-18 volts to lift things.

I'll see how it does with a 20, might de-rate the fuse to 15a. There
wouldn't happen to be a breaker that fits in an ABC fuse slot and is rated
to break a 36 volt load, is there?

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Kanary [mailto:rjkanary consolidated net]
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Christopher Zach; et
Subject: Re: (ET) Testing lift motor at higher voltages

Bear in mind that the Delco motor has a high failure rate with the internal
circuit breaker. On occasion, one will fail open.Unfortunately,the vast
majority of them weld shut.In the time it takes for the 30A Slo BloR fuse
open however, permanent damage has occurred.The primary job of THAT fuse is
to protect the wiring, not the load.
I have replaced the fuse with a 15 or 20A self-resetting circuit breaker to
stave off that type of disaster.

RJ