From: Christopher Zach <cz alembic crystel com>
To: Elec-Trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Fri, Jul 6, 2012 8:54 pm
Subject: (ET) Charger problems.

Hm, this is interesting. First I used my diode tester to check the
voltage drop across the diodes. Then I remembered that since they are
connected at both ends (by the plate and the transformer windings) that
I would have to de-solder one of them.

De-soldered and checked. Both showed infinite resistance in one
direction, one showed .4 volt drop and the other showed a .38 volt drop.

Not too bad. Then I re-connected and did another voltage test. With the
charger connected I get 36 volts at the charger molex connector to the
battery pack. So the fuses and breakers are ok.

I then checked voltage differential between the diodes and the board.
Both sides read 35 volts, so the diodes are dropping voltage.

Then I checked the transformer with the capacitor out of circuit. Read
30 volts. Odd again.

I then disconnected the capacitor and put the diode tester across it to
charge it. It held a 1.5 volt charge.

So hm. Might be the capacitor, without it the transformer hums quietly.
Then again maybe the diodes are bad under load, which would be odd but
not impossible.

Thoughts? Wish I had a spare cap. And does cap size give any clue as to
capacity? This one is short and squat.

Chris