Re: (ET) wheel horse c-185 lift using a small wench for mower lift?

The problem with the winch you point out at harborfreight.com is that it
has no reverse.
I assume your talking about:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-electric-atvutv-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68146.html
note the free-spooling feature and automatic load holding brake... I would
assume that means that you manually release the load and then the cable
just spools out

If you look at this product (yes I know it's 120V) it calls out the
reverse feature, just like our equipment lifts
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html

I found a 12V winch with reverse on ebay, the switches just reverse
polarity so it's possible you may be able to do the same thing with the
harbor freight winch through appropriate wiring and removal of braking
pawls etc. but you would be better off finding a winch WITH reverse so
reduce the amount of engineering you would have to do.