Re: (ET) No main motor

On 10 Jun 2012 at 20:05, John Rieffel wrote:

> Power cut out today in the middle of a regular mowing run. When I move
> the
> speed control forward, the fuel gauge bottoms out, the usage meter shoots
> up and things start smelling toasty.

Measure the voltage at the motor field terminals.  To prevent damage, have
someone turn the speed control on only long enough to measure, or else
disconnect the motor armature first.

I think you'll find that you have no field voltage.

The most likely cause is burnt contacts on the reversing relay.  They're
supposed to be protected against reversing direction when the tractor is
moving, but that's usually what does them in.

I replaced my reversing relay a few times before I decided I'd had enough,
and fitted a modern electronic controller to the E15.  No more problems.