Re: (ET) I-5 foot pedal .vs. cruise control

Yup.  Nail on the head.

Running the armature at full voltage and field at full voltage is the most efficient use of power in a stock ET. If you lower the armature, you're using the toaster to add resistance, lower power to the drive motor and create heat. If you lower the field then the drive motor acts like a series wound motor and more power is used...and greater speeds. (And generating heat by using the resister on card 4)

Some tractors had a fast/slow cruise switch. Start the cruise in "slow cruise" it would be full armature, full field. Flip the switch to "fast cruise" and it would add in a resister to the field making it go faster (and generate more heat).

With a stock I5 you're kind of stuck with just "cruise" a little too slow and a little too fast.

If you're willing to do some modifications you could add a fast/slow cruise switch. It will help a little.

If you willing to do a LOT of modification then you could put in an electronic controller. No toaster, no card 4. Pretty much you use the power you need and very little gets wasted. Also, you can wire in a cruise button and a potentiometer and cruise at any speed you like. Wiring in a cruise to an electronic controller is a pain though. WAAAAY easier to put in a hand speed controller. Where ever you put it is how fast it goes. Less wiring, less to go wrong, but some people love the foot pedal. (I'm not one of them; )

Personally I hate the toaster and card 4. Converting energy to heat annoys me unless I'm making grilled cheese. And anything that wastes my precious power has to go.