Re: (ET) Steering

<   The steering on my E15 is shot. There are two related problems. The first
is that the sleeve which connects the rack (fan gear) to the horizontal steering
bar has a lot of play -- about 90 degrees of steering wheel movement without any
turning of the horizontal shaft. I suspect I'm not using the right hardware to
connect the shaft to the horizontal shaft.>

<   Secondly, the rack and pinion disengage -- under load the teeth of the pinion push
the rack (fan gear) forward where it then disengages and "clicks" rather than
actually turning the wheels. Are either of these gears the kind of thing that can strip?
Or is there a mechanical trick to keeping the rack from being pushed forward by the teeth
of the pinion?>

               The first thing to address is all the lost motion on the
sector shaft.The bushing needs to be replaced and the mesh depth with the
pinion gear is determined by the shim pack on the roll pin side of the
sector shaft.More shims on the pin end, the tighter the mesh.

        The gears can be ruined by continued operation with too much
play.Salvage may still be possible if the clearances are reduced.

       Another area to 'cheat' is to grind down the pinion shaft pedestal
to permit it to penetrate the sector gear more deeply.Some pinion gears
have a shoulder in the wide end of the pinion teeth that will limit how
deeply it can engage the sector. Others do not and this permits a better
chance of having mesh in undamaged areas.

       Yet another area of concern is the way the sector gear is affixed
to the sector shaft.The shaft is soft, allowing the Woodruff key to wear
the key  way in both the shaft and the gear. The then retaining pin
fractures.

       A talented welder can get these dissimilar metals to hold hands and
play nice.

       A tip.With a bit of inventiveness, commonly available flat
Torrington® bearings and wear plates can be used to set end play and
reduce friction in various places in the steering gear. :)

       The shafts, however are too soft to permit roller bearings to run
on them directly.You have to stick with bushings or sleeve the shafts with
bearing race material . :(

RJ

The steering on my E15 is shot. There are two related problems. The first
is that the sleeve which connects the rack (fan gear) to the horizontal
steering bar has a lot of play -- about 90 degrees of steering wheel
movement without any turning of the horizontal shaft. I suspect I'm not
using the right hardware to connect the shaft to the horizontal shaft.

Secondly, the rack and pinion disengage -- under load the teeth of the pinion push
the rack (fan gear) forward where it then disengages and "clicks" rather
than actually turning the wheels. Are either of these gears the kind of thing that
can strip?  Or is there a mechanical trick to keeping the rack from being pushed
forward by the teeth of the pinion?

Regards, jr