Re: (ET) Diagnosing delay error on E15 board

I agree.  I have had zero trouble since I first put the curtis in and powered it up.  The only regret I have is in a circuit I should have put in (to cut field power when I want to reverse) when I installed it, but it is so little of an annoyance that I have not bothered.

David Brandt

From: David Roden <etpost drmm net>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Diagnosing delay error on E15 board

On 26 Oct 2011 at 14:18, CZ wrote:

> Yes... We know the Alltrax is cool. But can you fix it with a simple
> soldering iron? :-)

No, but YOU probably could, since you've successfully reverse-engineered the
Hughes inverters in USE vehicles.

The point is, though, that I don't have to.  The Alltrax has been utterly
reliable for me.  It simply works.  When I had the original GE controller in
my E15, it seemed as if I was tinkering with it almost every other time I
used the tractor.  I replaced capacitors and diodes, I cleaned and reseated
the card edge terminals, I cleaned and replaced the reversing relay, all
more than once.  It was a constant hassle.

One of the more memorable afternoons using the E15 was the one when I had to
reverse the tractor by lifting the hood, tilting back the unscrewed relay
panel, and manually engaging the reverse relay.  That was the final straw.
The Alltrax went in shortly after that, and the controller headaches went
away.

This is not to say that the Alltrax is the only suitable controller or
necessarily even the best.  There are others.  Almost any, with the possible
exception of the really cheap Chinese sweatshop junk, would be more reliable
than GE's 3-decade-old parts - and more pleasant to use, too.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send