(ET) Determining Correct Motor Polarity (I-5)

I've run into something while installing a 4QD controller in my I-5. When I connect the drive motor as shown in the schematics (armature 8-red +, 24 black -) (field 62 +, 36 -) the tractor moves backward. I realize I can reverse the tractor by switching either the field or armature connections. However one way will be wrong because the series field winding won't be aiding the shunt field winding during forward travel. It's quite possible I got something swapped when I had everything torn down. Is the red armature connection supposed to be at the top (flange) or bottom of the motor on a fully assembled tractor? Can you recommend any other tests to make sure the polarity is correct?