(ET) Armature Maintenance

Some of you have a lot more experience with mower motor armatures than I do, so here are my questions.

1. I have some wires that are nicked (shellac gone) but not cut all the way through, what is the best way to seal them up again.

2. I have an armature that can from a rust bucket motor housing and i covered in rust dust and stuff... what is the best way to clean it I know I do not want to use chemicals that will cut the shellac (alcohol)... WD40?

Thanks

Karl