(ET) Interesting, that's what eats E15 relays....

Interesting evening. I put a hand-wired fuse holder in for the control fuse, fired up the tractor, and it still works normally. Which is good.

However since it was dark I noticed a little flash from under the dash. Opened the front panel so I could watch the relays and went from forward 3 to zero. Nothing. Then I went into reverse. Nothing, FR relay clicked. Then I went into reverse, nothing. Then I went back into neutral and moved the lever over.

*bang* flash in the relay box. And it suddenly hit me:

What is happening is that in going from forward to reverse even when not going *into* reverse is that the FR relay is changing state. And if there is a residual current in the field from the armature spinning down it's going to flash the relay when it happens.

I'll look into this more tomorrow, but I am wondering if the problem is not just going from forward to reverse while the motor is spinning, but going from forward or reverse to neutral *and moving the lever in the left/right direction* that causes an arc.

If so that's going to be more complicated to fix. But it would explain why these relays fuse themselves with such aplomb, it's human nature to get yourself ready to go in the direction you want to go.

Interesting.