Re: (ET) Thinking out loud - Controller

On 2/10/2011 1:49 PM, David Plamondon wrote:
If one wanted to replace just the first three speeds, and not worry
about field weakening, is there a simple controller that could do this?
To my understanding the controller options that are available have
special "software" that allows for the weakening. If i didnt want that,
what possible options are there? I would basically be looking to replace
the ribbon resistor and card on a E15 - possibly a E20. Thoughts?

Well for that anything that can do 36 volts DC at 200 or so amps peak. A Curtis, a EV1 SCR thing, heck even a big switch :-)

Controlling the field is where it gets "cool", however there's nothing preventing you from putting in a dial resistor labeled "go even faster". Just don't forget to have a spare motor if you smoke it.

Chris