(ET) Got the wheels off, messy rust situation

Well, today I pulled the rear transmission off this E15. Needed to do it so I could shore up the rear deck with 1 inch angle iron.

Doesn't look too great. The rust behind the rear wheel mount makes the mount itself somewhat unstable. I'm going to have to hit it hard with a wire brush to see if there's metal there I can weld to. If I can, I'll run the angle iron from the rear bracket up to the floor boards.

On a separate note I dragged the relay cover plate into Home Depot and had them mix me another pint of paint. Much better match, it's now drying on the deck. So far the deck restoration is going well; 2 coats of POR15 top and bottom, followed by 2 coats of latex enamel paint. That should keep it from rusting.

Once done I am going to strip the parts from my old rusted out deck, POR15 as needed, put them on, then junk the old deck. The metal is thin, it's rusted through around the back, and is pretty much shot.

One thing at a time.