(ET) Day 1: Damage doesn't look as bad as all that

Ok, it does. Specifically the E15's box and fenders are toast. I managed to get the 4 screws out of the fender-foot well assembly (hint: Just break rusty bolts) and the rear box lifted off. Yep, not a rivet was left...

Underneath it was a pile of rust. However after sweeping it off into the vacuum and looking at it I can say that it's not quite as bad as all that. Yes, I can see the flex at the rear because there is weakness behind the rear wheels on the non-harness side, but that's a pencil-sized hole and should be weldable with some angle iron. On the harness side (the wire harness) it actually looks pretty solid.

The screwdriver test resulted in no holes, and the hit with hammer test resulted in solid rings instead of tinks and crunches. So although I haven't checked the front, it's possible this might be salvageable.

With the wreck of the rear box off and in the weeds, I then rolled the tractor on it's side. Simple enough. Fortunately the paint is still on the bottom, so as a result the bottom of the frame is still sound. Which is once again good. The steering assembly is intact, as is the metal around the pillow bearing. Once again, positive.

There also seems to be something rusted-metal like clogging up the rear stab slots. Not sure what that is, but I'll drill and dig it out.

However all 4 tires are shot and all four wheels are rusted. Getting those off is going to be fun, however I need to get the wheels off so I can remove the fearless peerless. Oddly enough this tractor does have a later model brake assembly, and there is a very large spring *ahead* of the brake pedal. Is this normal; on the E20 there is a narrower spring behind the brake assembly.

Anyway, interesting wreck. Is the best way to remove rivets to drill them out?

Chris