Re: (ET) transmission feature (bit of a rant)

             I believe that upon further review you will discover the axle shaft, which is soft, has been worn by the much harder bearing race.None of the low hour 2318 transaxles I've disassembled had had this. High hour tired units have.

           Check the relieved area of the shaft for a sharp ninety degree shoulder. The ones caused by the bearings won't have this. One could attempt to prevent this from happening again by using a bearing with an extended inner race and set screws.The downside to this would been since the race is just a slip fit, you are now concentrating all those forces onto two small areas of a known to be soft shaft. :(

RJ

David Brandt wrote:
Hi, everyone.  I've had a few transmission problems, and in the course of finding the solution (which I'll post when I know it has worked), I discovered something interesting (and accumulated enough good internal parts to build about 3 1/2 transmissions).

You all know that there are bearings in the ends of the axle tubes.  You've probably had one sieze up from debris or rust.  It seems to be in the right location - you want the place that reacts the loads when you go over bumps and lumps to be as close to the load as possible, since increasing the distance between the load and the reaction only multiplies the reaction.  That is, it's better to take it at the end of the axle tube then the next restraint point, which is the needle bearings in the differential assembly.

When I demolish..(cough)...disassembled my ET transmission, I noticed that there is a relief cut in the axle right under where the bearing should sit.  It is a nice tight fit on either the inside or outside, but right under the bearing there is a gap of about 0.030" diametrically.  I happen to also have a peerless 2316 out of a John Deere 110, and it displays the same feature.

Why in the world would peerless purposely render this important bearing incapable of taking load until the axle had already deflected enough to load up the differential?  Planned Obsolesence?  So that after it siezes from rust (because of the water that can enter through the gap) that the axle will still turn?

David Brandt