(ET) Roll Pins

There are some roll pins quite a bit stronger than the typical roll pin you can find in the hardware stores.  They are called "plain coiled spring pins", and have several wraps of steel, not the single wrap found in a standard roll pin.  McMaster Carr says that they are about 30% stronger than standard spring pins, but I think that 30% is conservative if you use the strongest versions.

Search the McMaster Carr web page "www.mcmaster.com for roll pins.  There will be pictures where you can see the difference between "slotted" (standard) and "coiled" roll pins, or spring pins.

Select the "coiled" pins, not the "slotted" pins, and under coiled pins there will also be a choice for "standard" and "heavy duty" pins.

I suspect what someone said about the pins breaking due to the hole being worn is true.  What I would do is drill the hole out to the next larger size using a new drill bit.  Use lots of oil to lube the drill when doing this.  This could mean the use of a metric drill bit and spring pin, but I suspect there are inch sizes that will work.

These pins I would just order from McMaster Carr.  They stock things that you just cannot find in your local suppliers, and now allow anybody with a credit card to order from them.  Be careful to order the right stuff.   They mostly sell to "professionals", and they don't like returns when the problem was of your own making.

Don't order the stainless steel versions.  There is no advantage in this application, they cost more, and they are quite a bit weaker than the carbon steel spring pins.

Hope this helps,

Steve Naugler