(ET) Who makes the best 6V golf cart batteries nowadays?

Hi all,

I think I need a new set of batteries, although I'm still trying to save the ones I have.  The batteries are Trojan T-105s I bought used, and I have used them somewhere between 6 and 8 years.

My original charger had a timer failure and charged the batteries for about three days.  Somewhere around a third of the water was boiled off.  So I added about 1.5 gallons of distilled water, let them sit for two days, and used the tractor to mow the lawn.  The batteries were unsurprisingly weak.  So I charged them for my normal charge cycle of about two hours (I was the timer), waited a week, and just mowed the lawn.  Again they were weak.

So I will fix the charger timer or replace the charger altogether, and hopefully with several cycles of lawn mowing and battery charging they will recover.  But I am not hopeful.  The batteries were noticeably reduced in capacity

So who makes the best 6 volt golf cart batteries nowadays?

I've heard rumors that the Trojan batteries are not what they once were.  One of the last things I was told by Bill Gunn many moons ago was that Douglas batteries were better than Trojan batteries, but that information is now pretty old.

Then I'll try and find a used set.  Lost my job in April so money is tight.

As an aside, if I replace the charger I'll use the 36 volt BatteryMinder charger.  I've had good luck with the BatteryMinder products keeping my motorcycle batteries charged without overcharging them when the motorcycles were unused all winter.
(http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/BatteryMINDer-36-Volt-27-Amp-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Con-p-16143.html)

Steve N.
even before the overcharging incident.