Re: (ET) Chargers

I based my opinion on the fact there are several on this list using 3 12V
chargers with the original setup, and have reported excellent results.
Empirical data beats theory any day.

Personally, I won't have to deal with any of that - my lights are LED and
run via CL2 drivers off the full pack voltage (I highly recommend those
inexpensive little CL2 chips!).  The "lift" is now a 12V ATV winch which
will run off the front battery pair.  So everything is in 12V blocks.

With the original setup, I agree the 18V tap is a little weird. Some have
used it with a 24V tap, which would solve the problem.

But even if they did not, the lift is used for only seconds at a time, and
usually only twice per mowing run (lower the deck at the start, raise it
at the end).  Considering ET's use 220 AHr batteries, and further
considering they are flooded, and therefore (relatively) tolerant of this
sort of abuse, that amount of imbalance is easily tolerated.  One of the
center pair will simply be overcharged a bit (and use more water) while
the other one fills up the rest of the way.  A conscientious ET user will
check the batteries to see if they need water regularly, and fill it up
before it gets too low.

Now if there was an application that used the lift a lot, say for an hour
or two, that would cause a problem, but then the original lift motors
would probably burn out before the batteries died.  I imagine
tilling/plowing, and raising it at the end of each row would be the most
extreme realistic application.  I don't know how much current the lift
uses.  If I did, we could figure out exactly how imbalanced the batteries
would be.  I bet it wouldn't be much.  Anyone out there measured lift
current and typical time of use per run?

David Brandt