(ET) Massive sparks on decel

Interesting thing: My Vicor DC-DC power supply caught fire a few months ago and died (I used it to power an E-meter). This afternoon I was driving the Elec-trak and heard a *snap* under the hood every time I stopped the motor. Checked, there was a 1 inch spark going across what was left of a capacitor on the Vicor's power supply board.

Looks like something from the motor, but what is generating that much voltage? And is there a MOV I can put in to stop it?

Or is something seriously wrong?

Chris