(ET) Lester Automatic Charger Algorithm

For those of you interested in somebody's (Lester's) idea of how to charge a 36V wet  battery pack, I finally got the right instrumentation to graph it.

Here it is:

Started with a fully charged pack (old but with light and careful use) and discharged it about 35AH.  Turned on the charger (initial current around 20A) and the total time until cutoff was about 4.5 hours.  At about 3.5 hours the voltage quit rising and with a current of about 10A, it bobbled around between 44.35 and 44.4V  for about an hour before it cut off.

This may not be universally useful, because I think the results depend upon the age and balance of the batteries, the calibration of the particular charger, and even a little upon line input voltage.  It would have been useless to track total AH input, as a lot of current was wasted during the last hour (equalization phase?).  In any event, here it is in case it is of any interest.

By the way, this is just a round-about way to rediscover what David Roden said in a post several years ago, that the Lester charger operates on the "voltage doesn't rise anymore" principle.

Cheers,

Paul Heinzerling
Hudson, OH