(ET) Bad luck? bad lot? bad owner?

Don't know how accurate this old thing is, but s.g. of all 3 cells looks to be about 1.15.

Open vs shorted vs neither was a question I had. How to tell the difference? My thinking, like John's was that an open cell would show zero s.c. voltage. If shorted, 4.xx volts. But, how to tell the difference between a shorted cell vs a very tired battery? If two of the 3 cells were ok, would not the s.g. in those cells be considerably higher than in the shorted cell, after charging?

Meter I'm using is a Fluke DMM.

<Not so fast! If the problem is a dead cell, not a shorted one, sometimes a
long, slow equalization (for a golf car battery, constant current at around
3-5 amps from something between several hours and several days ) may be able
to get you going again.  >

I'm aware of this, just haven't figured out how to do it yet. The only charger I have that's not 10A is 12v, 2A.

I found it interesting--because I don't understand it--that the old big charger, on wheels, reads about 7.5 volts (between battery posts) when set on 6v/10A. The small portable charger reads 9.5v when set on 6v/10A. So far I've used the big charger on it for close to 10 hours and haven't seen the 4.10v move a bit.

Thanks again.

Thon