Re: (ET) Wheel Horse C185 not running

Don't know how likely it is the same fluke would occur twice, but...

I saw a C-185 not run which turned out to be the ring terminal at the end of the cable connecting to one of the motor terminals had fallen apart. So all the relays worked just fine and the power got to within a mm of the motor.

Other than that, do you have a voltmeter? Is the pack voltage good (around 38 volts?) If that much is good, you'll need to do some careful checking... those loose little wires could well be in the wrong places. Previous owners often get very creative. Work you way through with the schematics to make sure power is getting to everywhere it should be.

And although fine to bypass during testing, I would recommend restoring the seat switch as it is an important safety feature.

~~~
Note that e-mail replies to the above address will not go through
(anti-spam protection). If you want to contact me directly, use the
"contact us" form on the website at
http://electrictractorstore.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us

Jim Coate
Electric Tractor Store

Jef Spalding wrote:
Dear all,
i recently acquired a non operating C185 / attachments.

I am not doing well with getting my tractor going, and was seeking your specific help since we have what appears the identical tractors. I could go over the specifics, but maybe I'll start by asking if you have any good trouble shooting literature? You had mentioned Home Power back issues in one of your posts, do you still have any of these articles? Or anything technical to begin my search as to why my solenoids just click when pedal is applied?

 I have the original
(copied) text of the owners manual and parts manual, with schematics, as well as a good understanding of automotive mechanical and basic DC wiring. But with NO actual electric tractor experience and never have seen one even
running, I am lost.

I should note that I repaired the charger heat sink wire, and replace a
age-cracked capacitor on the diode varistor (not the exact same
capacitor-higher voltage), and found a disconnected double ground female terminal that I re-connected to the cc control relay. The seat switch has been cut; two wires out of four coming into rear battery compartment have been connected together and have a lead that presumably goes to one of the rear batteries. The other two (one blue and back) are connected to rear batteries. The rest of electrical looks intact and cleaned of mouse nests
and debris.

I'm not sure if any of this may help to figure out my dilemma. I have not plugged the charger together; I presume that shouldn't matter for getting running; the batteries are all fully charged and tested. Do you know what the varistor does? Could the incorrect capacitor be the problem? Since I can't tell from schematic exactly what terminal the disconnected wire goes to at cc relay, could this be an issue? As for the four wires to the rear battery compartment; I only can find three on the schematic. So I left the two to the seat switch connected together, and tried not connecting the
battery lead and still no run.

I am sorry to hit you out of the blue with all this, not even knowing your group, but I would be extremely grateful for any technical assistance or literature you could provide. I am getting so desperate, I was actually going to ask
you to take a high resolution photo of your board to determine if my
electrical has been erroneously tampered with by previous owner!

Sincerely,
Jef Spalding

--

Jim Coate, Spencertown, New York

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

1998 Electric S-10, 1997 Solectria Force, 1970's Elec-Traks
http://www.eeevee.com

The Electric Tractor Store is now open!
http://www.electrictractorstore.com