(ET) Diodes

This is only slightly related to Elec-traks, but I don't know of any other
forum that can answer my question.

I have a 12V battery pack that charges by plugging into any car-style
power outlet.  The problem is, it allows voltage to go both ways.  If I
forget it's plugged in, and I turn off power from the vehicle, the battery
pack will immediately begin powering the vehicle.  I think this has
damaged a relay on 2 separate occasions.

I want to prevent this behavior by putting 2 diodes on the line so power
only goes 1 direction.  However, I don't know what kind of diode to buy.
I went to Radio Shack and found some very puzzling codes on all of the
diodes and a staff that was less than knowledgable.

Can someone on this list reply to this e-mail in private, and let me know
what kind of diode to buy as well as what code to look for for a 12V, 5Amp
system?

--
Jeremy Gagliardi
E20