Re: (ET) Got my pack meter, first thoughts

Hi Chris,
if the remote is not blinking, something is not right. I have found one unit where the blink is hard to detect in strong sunlight unless I am looking at it directly on - extremely directional light from the LED.

Definitely find a way to protect the display unit from water.

Glad to hear you agree that the information from the unit is amazing. I'm loving the one I have in the Green14 (Porsche 914 electric conversion).

(Disclosure: I am a distributor for PakTrakr battery monitors. I did not sell the unit Chris has.)

Darryl McMahon

Christopher Zach wrote:
Got my Paktrakr in the mail this week, and installed it on the Elec-trak this morning.

First thoughts:

The buttons on it are a bit on the simple side (think bits of plastic) however the overall construction is solid. I hooked up the remote to 30 of my NiCD batteries (one string) by monitoring every 5th battery.

First oddity: The light on the pack monitor does not blink. Oh well. It does however hook up.

Once I got it working I took a little drive around the yard. It's cute, the little meters tell you which batteries are doing what. Actually very easy to read while bouncing along the lawn. That said this thing is not waterproof by any means. If I keep it in the E20 I will probably mount it in a box or something on the dash. Will have to think about that.

But the information is amazing. Actually it's just what I wanted in life, a simple read-out of what the heck the pack is doing.

The tractor is now on charge and the $80 serial interface/collector is attached. Later I'll take a look at the data and see what the pack is *really* doing :-)

Chris