Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) E20 motor at 48V

 I think newer ships use multiple turbines driving generators instead
of a huge diesel.....that way they can maintain a "buss voltage" with
only one or two running in port and more come on line when at sea
underway.  The propulsion motors are ac direct drive (maybe 60RPM) and
run off inverter drives from the buss.  Drill ships and some specialized
vessels have 360 degree thruster pods to move and propel the ship.  It's
all high tech nowadays.
 Many ports are under scrutiny for pollution because they are close to
cities/population centers and a huge diesel idling while
unloading/loading does make a cloud.  Of course, on container crane
ports, hundreds of diesel trucks moving containers don't help.  Time to
go green !

...Walt