-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Tim Humphrey
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:15 AM
To: ET
Subject: Re: (ET) Power Inverters - cold batteries, motor current draw

>  4) if you need to run lights, use LED's.  They draw TINY amounts of
> power,
>  and will work in a frozen garage/shop (unlike my flourescent bulbs,
> which
>  want 50 or 60 degrees F to start !)
>  Regular incandescent bulbs will eat that battery energy, that you need
> for
>  turning your furnace blower motor.

Tube lights or CFL's? My tubes have a hard time starting when it's cold but
my CFL's will start as low as 10f below O. They take a minute to get to
full
bright, but they start everytime.

>> Bill Alburty Wrote
>>>Every winter, when there is an impending ice storm, I begin to wonder
> if
>>>there is a way to use the 36 VDC power source of my ET battery pack to
>>>operate my gas furnace for a day or two, since the gas is still
>>>available. Those of you who have used ET power inverters for this
>>>purpose could tell us how much wattage you can get from fully charged
> ET
>>>batteries, and for how long. It would have to supply about 11 AC amps
> at
>>>115 VAC/60 Hz to run the blower and gas valve. At a reduced
>>>house-thermostat setting, it seems to me that maybe enough heat could
> be
>>>circulated to get through two day's power outage.

How much do you want to spend.....
the Tripp-Lite  APS3636VR UPs is a 36v system. It's about 800 bux. But it
also has 3600watts capability and doubles as your charger, so you never
have
to worry about that breaking down again either.  (Hope I didn't just jinx
somebody)

I know at least one person is using the APS, maybe he'll chime in. I plan
get one if I ever can manage to scrape up an EXTRA 800 bux. I really like
the unit, it's just not high on my list of priorities yet.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump