From: Max Hall
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) Power Inverters

Here's a suggestion that would work for me, since I have these parts "in stock" in my basement. You might, too?

1. grab one of the DC-DC converters you have on the shelves... (I have a NewMar that can deliver 6A at 12v from 36-60VDC, that was $50 on eBay)
2. use that to deliver "12v" (really about 13.6v or whatever) charging to a conventional lead-acid
3. use a 12v inverter off the lead acid (a power buffer in this case) to deliver 110VAC to your furnace as if the household current were available

a 12VDC to 110VAC inverter for your purposes needs to deliver about 1300W continuous, and those aren't *TOO* expensive. The one catch might be the start-up surge for the blower motor... different inverters behave differently, there. You can play tricks ramping up the voltage to the motor depending on the type.

The 6A at 12VDC, a feeble 72W before losses, to the battery is not enough to run the system continuously. The blower's duty cycle would make or break it... oof... only 1/10th even before losses... not so good.

Ok, I guess this is only an ok idea at best. But it is feasible, I guess.

The fan is the killer... maybe have a DC fan back-up? An ElecTrak or other 36v motor as a seconday blower... to run right off the tractor?

The only reason this idea works for me is that it's mostly off-the-shelf stuff.

-M