Re: (ET) relays

Is the diode 'across' the coil, or in series with the coil?

RJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Humphrey" <hump evgrin com>
To: "ET" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) relays

relays will usually have two sets of ratings, one for the coil and one for the contacts.

AFAIK (as far as I know) a relay coil can only work on DC, otherwise it is a buzzer. So a coil rated for 24vac would have a diode integrated in its windings in order to convert the incoming ac into dc. It obviously would work on dc, but you would have to observe polarity. (I'm thinking I'm about to learn something new; "to me").

Is there any other markings on it to identify it?

--
Stay Charged!
Hump