(ET) contactor question

Markus,

My understanding of how a contactor works: voltage applied at the smaller studs allows a larger current to flow through the larger studs. In this 24v contactor though, there are 2 sets of larger studs: The sets on the sides of the can do not have continuity--with the mower off--but the two on the top of the can do. This is what's confusing me. I don't know if it's supposed to be this way, or if this indicates a problem. I'm suspicious it's the latter, as that's a dead short across the battery?

<When you hook up these two studs to your battery (to 24V) directly do you hear a clicking
sound or do you have serious sparks generated when you connect the wire.>

When I hook up the top two--which originally had + and - battery wires--I get serious sparks.

I'd still like to know if I could use an E-T contactor. I'd think (?) the 36v would be OK but I'm not sure what to do with the large neg. wire that goes to the battery.

Thanks.

Thon