Re: (ET) weeder

On 17 Mar 2007 at 12:36, Neil Dennis wrote:

> On Mantis, the idea to change to electric sound good, I've got two
> "slimers", neither starts worth a d&&% !

I know an older woman who bought the gas model.  She soon sent it back
because she could barely start it.  And it wasn't just her - I found it
was
pretty cantankerous, too.

We have one of the Mantis factory electrics.  Margaret bought it about it
20
years ago.  It worked great for several years, until one winter when
Margaret forgot about it and left it in the barn.  Moisture corroded the
brush holders (it has a PM motor).  Now I have to take it apart every
spring
and free up the brushes again.  One of these days I'll have to order new
brush holders, I guess. ;-)

Despite that I recommend it.  It has lots of torque and just keeps
chugging
along.  It's not a substitute for the big ET tiller, but for most
gardening
purposes it's more than adequate (and is a lot easier to handle than a
full
size gas-powered tiller).  Be sure to clean it up and check the grease in
the gearbox at the end of each season.  Store it in a dry place.

For a while in the 1990s, Mantis weren't selling an electric model, but a
few years ago they brought it back.  It looks like it might have a
different
motor from ours, which IMO would be a good thing.

I have yet to try powering the Mantis from the ET.  I have 12 volt, 24
volt,
and 48 volt inverters - no 36 volt inverter yet.  But I figure that if I'm
careful to watch SOC, I can alternate the 24v and 12v inverters.  Both
look
like they'll fit nicely in the weight box.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

                               -- Emma Goldman