Re: (ET) the tools discussion

Sorry you had a problem with your spring compressor. I had a problem once with a HF spring clip tool. I am just thankful that the experience did not leave me emotionally scarred.

Regards,

Brad Fayette
"The geeks shall inherit the Earth."

David Roden wrote:

In spite of my father's admonition, many years ago I did buy a few cheap tools, thinking as David Robie does that I wasn't going to use them frequently. I soon discovered a few things about them.

1. They never work as well as good tools, even when new. Things don't fit right. They don't have the power they should. They're not sharp or smooth or even as they should be. They don't fit the hand well. They make the work harder than it needs to be.

2. Even if you think you'll use the tool just a few times, a few years later you often discover that you've used it *more* than a few times. You realize this when you're in a hurry and the d**m thing breaks or quits.

3. Don't even bother trying to fix it.  Spare parts aren't available.

In the last post, I alluded to a cheap strut spring compressor. Here's the story.

Many years ago I ordered some strut cartridges for my VW from Recycled Bugs Inc. (remember them?). I was planning to rent a spring compressor, but the order taker sold me a cheap one, saying it wasn't top quality, but was "good enough to use every 5 years."

As soon as I opened the box, I knew I'd made a mistake. It was cheap Chinese junk. They were grainy cast metal. But I was trying to change the struts, it was late on Saturday, and I didn't want to try to find a rental shop still open (this was before the chain auto parts companies started renting tools). So I tried them anyway. I got the spring on one strut compressed, all right, and got the new cartridge installed. Then I went to loosen the compressors, and found that one of the castings had cross-threaded. It was seized up. Couldn't loosen it to finish the job.

For a while I thought I was going to have to cut it off, and was trying to figure out how to do that without releasing the spring and killing myself. I had about decided I'd have to wait until Monday, borrowing a car to get to work. I'd rent a *real* spring compressor to release the tension, and just remove the cr***y one and dump it in the trash can. Fortunately, I was able to free it up by dousing it with penetrating oil, chucking it in the vise, and applying a piece of pipe on my breaker bar. In retrospect I'm lucky it didn't break, sending bits flying everywhere.

I rebuilt the other strut the following weekend, and rented a proper spring compressor for it. Lesson learned. Never again have I bought a cheap tool. And come to that I don't think I ever bought anything from RBI again, either.

To bring this back round to the ET : many of us are still using 30 year old tractors because they were built well. That's one reason we like them, or at least one reason I do - they're not cheap disposable tractors like the ones sold at the home stores. ETs' price tags weren't small when new, but they're quite affordable now. Just as a 30 year old ET is likely to outlast your neighbor's new Toro from Home Depot, a good used hand or power tool (bought from Ebay if necessary) is usually a better deal than a new cheapie purchased from HF.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me. To send me a private message, please use the address shown at the bottom
War is peace
Ignorance is strength
Freedom is slavery

                                -- George Orwell, "1984"