Re: (ET) Motor Swap & kill a watt

Dave the brushes in the 20 motor on my bench are preset for fwd operation. The brushes an holders are angled to the com

Jerry
----- Original Message ----- From: "David C Robie" <mycroftxx1 juno com>
To: <ralphgv talkamerica net>; <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Motor Swap & kill a watt

If motor  has to run in reverse, remember that the brushes may be factory
set for forward operation, not neutral position. This, of course, means
inefficient operation. It would pay to check this - but wait for another
answer on this board someone may know  whether 20 motor brushes are
factory set advanced for fwd direction or not. Any sharp electomechtech
or even some degree engineers (most of em seem to get 'dilberted' a lot)
would advance em to begin with.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:55:03 -0500 Ralph & Elaine Vogan

<ralphgv talkamerica net> writes:
David C Robie wrote:

>(power).   It would be nice to have 'variable power' - using toggle
>switches instead of a cam - so you could choose how far to throw
the
>stuff, or use minimum power for light snowfalls higher for heavier
ones.

Good idea.  And easy to do.  Even one resister and switch would give
me
two speeds.  I noticed that the motor has to run in reverse to drive
the
thrower the right way.  But I don't think that will be a problem.

>Why not breadboard the thing and temp tie it on the dashboard (good
ole
>Duct tape) to see what develops.  I have a 20 motor here and if you
find
>that vari power works dcent and useful, I might consider a motor
switch
>on my blower just to have the added feature.

Ralph Vogan
ralphgv talkamerica net