Re: (ET) kill-a-watt

David Roden wrote:
On 20 Dec 2006 at 13:09, Christopher Zach wrote:

he's using a grid-tie inverter.

Yes, but unless I misunderstood the description, he's backfeeding the
Kill-a-
watt meter. Unless he modified the KaW, that would require a double-male cable, no? Or am I missing something here?

Typical use of the OK4U was to put a plug on it and plug it into the nearest wall. This would handle the NEC of the 90's, I think it was NEC 02 that called for a dedicated breaker for all grid tie thingies.

I know some folks will dismiss this concern, but IMO it's not a great idea to even have such a cable around the house. There's too much chance of an accident. Even an adult can grab it, thinking it's an extension cord, and get a nasty surprise. For a little tyke, it could be disfiguring or fatal.

Since it can't generate power without the grid (ie plugged in) and drops power as soon as you unplug it it's about as safe as any appliance.

What would be unsafe would be to have a DC motor attached to an AC motor that is plugged into the wall.

Did I miss something? Did somebody suggest this here?
That was the other possibility for doing a grid tie. Old solution and probably not used. But it does have the potential to be unsafe.

CZ

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me. To send me a private message, please use the address shown at the bottom
We are a warlike people, and we love war.

           -- Michael Ledeen, American Enterprise Institute