Re: (ET) Wheelhorse and their last ET in 1983

OK STEVE !

Except for the line 'much better than cars'.  The Priii *are* electric
cars and can run without an ICE engine in em at all (but not for long,
bout 7 miles as the batts are too small for much range).  Seein as that
the success of the Prius proves the success and reliability of a major
manufacturers all-electric automobile chassis, the next step up is the
plug in type hybrid.  Owner's choice on what fuel he is to burn on a
given  day.  Short trip under 30 miles?  Electricity.  Long trip? Gas.
It's the short trips (with a cold engine) that get the poorest fuel
mileage and beat on the engine the hardest.  With the plug-in type hybrid
starting to show up on the roads now (developmental, not for sale by
dealers yet) there is no gasoline fuel use at all on trips under 30
miles.  If you need to go more miles that ' all electric' day, the car's
computer senses 'low battery' when it happens and starts up the ICE
(which also charges the battery as you drive).
      As for reliability of this all -electric chassis;  There is a std
Prius in Hingham MA with over 260,000 miles on her with no major repairs
and with the original batteries.  She still looks (and feels, I regularly
ride in this vehicle and have driven her) new.
     As for the tractors;  Modern technology such as decent electronic
controllers, more precise motor mfg and today's better batteries (even
floodeds) should eliminate the problems GE had in pioneering these
machines - and the future surely will bring us decent electric tractors
on par pricewise with hi end gassers in the mass market.  Why?  Because
of 'peak oil' and air quality issues if nothing else.  A good sector of
the public has seen WKTEC and AIT and is searching for environmentally
benign answers to questions posed by these flics.  This should make a lot
of any new electric tractors at a comparable price to hi end gassers
'presold' the minute they hit the market.  We have the Electric OX as the
high end now, all it needs is to be downsized a bit and downpriced by
mass production or possibly Chinese outsource. When something like that
is able to be produced in the massive quantities reqd by Home Depot,
Lowes etc, it will be a marketing success guaranteed.

      The days of burning dead dinosaurs and their foodchains are
numbered.  Viva
Reddy Kilowatt.

Dave
Weymouth MA