Re: (ET) GE-20 Transmission Oil Specs

I am the original proud owner who has lost most of his know-how on the simplest measures. My wife was a stranger last January after my second stroke. No tears however, most things are improving every day. Your comment that the selected oil was the right oil gave me courage. Right now all is in a mess in the garage so I am unable to let you hear how much I appreciate you reply. You will get a better reply soon.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Casey [mailto:jjcrmc optonline net]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:03 PM
To: Raymon Ellis; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) GE-20 Transmission Oil Specs

I take it that you're not the original owner and may not know what's in the trans.  The 85-140 gear oil is perfect, even if you live in the snowbelt.  If you live in a REAL  snowbelt like northern Maine you can use straight 85.  Remove the old oil with the tractor flat on the ground then get the rear wheels at least 5" off ground for 64 ozs of new oil.  I used 75 wgt. Mobil 1 synthetic for more than a year without problem,  replaced it with 85-140 because I thought the trans was noisy and heavier oil would quiet it down and also because I saw a post about synthetics damaging seals.  Now believe synthetics to be safe, the stuff is in the engine, trans and axle of my BMW...if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

Good luck, Jack