From: "Mike Wallace" <metman glasgow-ky com>
To: <ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA>,<elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: Re: (ET) Electric Tractor Conversion Update
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:07:22 -0600

Geof and all,

Speaking of converting from ICE to electric, I could use some advice and/or tips on doing something similar myself. Ever since I met Shawn Lawless last year at the Louisville Lawn Expo and saw his ZTR, I've wanted to try something similar.

I recently bought an older (late 80's maybe) Model 411 Grasshopper with intentions of converting it. It currently uses an 11 hp Briggs (horizontal shaft) driving two Eaton hydro units that then drive the wheels through 13:1 double chain reduction systems.

I'm thinking about using two E15 drive motors and two Alltarx units to drive them. Without a lot of major changes, I think I can position the two drive motors parallel to each other with one pointing east and the other pointing west. I'll mount the smallest possible #40 sprockets to the output of each motor to drive the first 4:1 reduction.

One possible problem I'm wondering about is that one motor will be turning it's normal "optimum" direction and the other will be essentially running in reverse while the mower is going forward. And visa versa for when backing up.

Do I need to consider modifying the brush position/location or even possibly the field winding connections such that when going the predominate forward direction, both motors are in "optimum" direction mode?

With the Briggs engine gone, (this is a front mounted deck Grasshopper with the single tail caster wheel) I figure there ought to be plenty of room to finally do something with those 60+ Saft BB-600 NiCads I've had for about a year now.

I figure I'll replace the current shaft driven 36" deck with a 42" ET deck and that swap shouldn't be a big deal.

Any of you guys got any suggestions or words of wisdom for me?

Mike in KY