Re: (ET) How good and fast at cutting

Electronic control.  Not necessary.  The GE 8 and 10 have just a constant
speed motor connected through a belt idler tye clutch to the tranny.  The
motor (and deck) shut off when the brake is depressed all the way.  Ths
is done with a simple 'sealing contact'  wiring of the main contactor,
which is DPST.
      The GE 12,15, 16, and 20 use for the first 3 electrical speeds,
armature series resistors (huge nichrome dropping resistors)  which are
shorted out of the armature circuit by contactors.  The rest of the
speeds, once the armature is getting full batt voltage, are done by
adding 'field weakening resistors' in series with the field.
      Some have converted the 15 and 20 models to a controller called
'electrax' built for the purpose.  It is built for the 15 and 20 field
type motors and is programmable.  People who got Alltrax are happy with
it.  It is not necessary on the 16, which has simpler and more reliable
circuits  or the 12 which has a PM motor and 3 electrical speeds
(armature drop type)  plus the mechanical tranny speeds as others have,
which are sufficient for any use I have ever put a tractor to.

  My advice is to find a GE, Wheelhorse, or New Idea electric
(essentially the same tractor)  and rebuild her.  Reason;  These
Etractors are esentially big strong battery boxes on wheels that as a
primary purpose, carry the batteries without any complaints or chassis
weakness.  Then, the battery boxes were made by GE etc to look and
function as a tractor.  The primary market for these were golf courses
and estates so they are built strong and long lasting,  not like the
thousand dollar plus (or more if they are green and yellow or big name)
gas guzzling yearly maintenence prone tin toys that are marketed to
homeowners.

   There is no reason to reinvent the wheel here because there are
literally hundreds of rebuildable GE, Wheelhorse, and New Idea tractors
out there all over the country and Canada just waiting to have someone
adopt them, rebuild them, and put them to work.  Even got a couple myself
I haven't the time to rebuild (or the need, already got 2 good ones).
Parts are available in PA by mail or sometimes through another Etrac
owner with spares - you have seen this on the board.   We (this board)
have a sense of ' community'.   We want to see more of these machines out
there and have communal help available for the rebuilders (again, as you
have seen) on any problem a guy could have with restoring one of these
'still futuristic' machines of the past.

Check the thread of this board.  You will likely find a decent restorable
machine with mower deck within a couple hundred miles of you.  Just ask.
 Advice again.  Simpler is better.  You need a bigframe type for an acre
- and all of the bigframes have the power for other duties too, and even
if without a front winch (like a 12M for example) can easily adapt for a
snowblower and / or plow.  All bigframes will tow a fullsize (4x8 or so)
yard trailer if a 1 7/8  ball is just dropped into their tow bracket and
tightened up.

Wishing you fortune in your quest for environmental sanity (and fun as
well) in grounds maintenence..

Dave
Weymouth MA