Re: (ET) Steering wheel removal

Be sure the collar has not come loose a little bit and is allowing your
steering shaft up and down motion. The tiniest bit is too much. I would
loosen the collar and stress the dash upwards a bit using (very lightly,
a vry small bit perhaps 1/8") a hydraulic jack before tightening that
collar up again.  and this time tighten it more than before.  Releasing
the jack will let the dash spring down tighter.  Before tightening make
sure that the steering shaft is bottomed out, there may have been some
grit or something or even too much grease under it when you tightened it.

You might even have a broken (rusted out) roll pin in the steering wheel
hub.  Check this by holding the shaft with vise grips while turning the
wheel.  If it's broken you should be ablle to, by simultaneous turning in
one direction while you pull up on it, get it off the shaft to get the
broken pin parts out.  Ace Hardware franchises usually have roll pins.

Have never heard of anyone needing a new steering shaft.

Dave
Weymouth MA