From: ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) E-bay insanity
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:42:55 -0400

Hi
        This same conversation is going on, on the Wheelhorse List too.
Guys
gone are the days of the $50 tractor.

Here are my thoughts. I am first a bit surprised that you folks, who for the
most part are American seem to be so anti the free market spirit of E-bay.
Secondly as a collector of Electraks I am probably as much at fault at
raising the price as the next guy. If I want it, I am like to be pretty
generous on a bid.
        But, E-bay sales of manuals, documents and parts  should in no way
impact on a person who just wants to keep there tractor serviced and going.
The .org sight and most every manual you will need in .pdf format ready to
be downloaded, TORO Wheelhorse supplies copies of the Parts Owners and
Service Manuals for all there products including the B145 C185 A60 A90 and
the E141 for a nominal $2 fee. And Harold and a few others have parts are
reasonable prices.

I am also sure that a photocopy or scanned copy of a rare manual can be had
just be contacting this list.

So, I am basically in the buyer beware camp. Bid what you think is fair and
let the market decide the final price. Don't get sucked into a bidding war
with a guy with deep pockets (like me) and eventually the price will become
fair. Until then let's all shop smart and share as much information as we
can. After all what we're all trying to do is keep this technology alive
until the rest of the world catches up to the 1970s.

Cheers
Geof T.