Re: (ET) Alltrax finally up and running!

If the field connection has an open, armature current
will be excessive and possibly blow the control
(although it should not if the current limit circuitry
is designed properly, even on a dead short, but this
depends on how current limit is implemented on the
control.  Sometimes the current limit circuit is
designed to prevent high current on a 'good' motor but
necessarily for a motor that has a shorted winding, or
open winding in the case of a compound wound/shunt
wound motor).  The other posibility is a shorted shunt
field.  In this case the H-bridge shunt field MOSFET's
could blow up and possibly the armature MOSFET's as
well.  A high voltage error could be caused from
excessive voltage seen while turning of the MOSFET's
(stray inductance and very high currents can cause
nasty voltage spikes).  I'm just speculating and don't
know how this control was designed.  I do know that
similar failures occured on GE controls while I worked
there from 1991-1994 designing various low voltage
golf cart and electric greensmower controls that
operated on 36 and 48V.
If your motor is running slow and drawing excessive
current I would speculate that you have a shorted
winding in the field or armature.  The short could
appear anywhere in the winding giving you extreme
field weakening and making the motor very
innefficient.
Good luck on the trouble-shooting!
Rod