(ET) E-14 Timer

This is for those who have experienced timer problems and are looking for a simpler charger setup. Michael J. Banks wrote that he fixed his timer after opening it and all the switch parts fell out in his hand. He is a champion and I salute him. I took mine apart and found it impossible to reassemble. Today a standard 12 hour auto shut-off mechanical timer was installed to straddles the newly installed Landis controller to override the Landis when the batteries are very low. This may be the answer for anyone willing to risk it. An in-line fuse and single pole switch was inserted in the red wire to the Landis to stop power while the mechanical timer is in control although this may not be necessary. When the timer was first turned on this morning the power meter showed a current draw of slightly over 8 amps. After a few minutes the current reduced to 4.6 amps. All seems well now, but the big test will come later this week when we mow the lawn and run down the batteries. The ability to charge 6 or 8 hours with the mechanical timer followed by the Landis method for unattended surveillance ought to be just what the doctor ordered. The power usage record should prove the practical advantages of the setup. Maybe.