-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Tim
Humphrey
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:54 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Electric Farm tractor conversion

I was contemplating converting my Allis Chalmers model CA. Same
thing...the engine is the frame. However, the 72v forklift motor I have
is a smaller diameter than the engine so I was thinking of using 1/4"
2*2 angle steel to make an open frame box whose dimensions allowed bolt
holes which matched the original engines hole locations. This box would
the replace the engine and the E-Motor would be mounted inside the box,
since the tractor essentially splits at the transmission - engine
connection. Though I also very easily see building a whole different
structure for the front end.  Basically what we have is the transmission
and rear running gear bolt to the engine and the steering/front running
gear bolts to the other end of the engine. Since we also need to install
framework to hold batteries, I see engineering a whole new front half
which contains the front running gear and all of the electrical "parts"
and just bolts onto the transmission where the engine used to.  I don't
even imagine it looking anything like a CA anymore.

  Oh well, just another one of my Pitney's,... I really need to find a
Bowes.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump