Re: (ET) e-15 Noise in power drive unit

Now, if only one could find a source for the DuoTrak® limited slip differential that is also found in other 2300 series Peerless® transaxles....then we could have some fun.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David C Robie" <mycroftxx1 juno com>
To: <kelfy yahoo com>
Cc: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) e-15 Noise in power drive unit

Kee- rect.  When a company makes ten thousand castings the wrong way,
they are not gonna melt em down and recast them. A 'whoops' note to the
dealers after the problem surfaces is cheaper.
  Rather than lift the tractor to fill and drain,  I use a home made
vacuum extractor to drain it,  and fill by gravity with a funnel and
tight fitting rubber tube suspended high from the seat.  Of course to
remove the tubeand quickly put the plug back in  my hand get a bit oily
.......    Incidentally; a bit of Lucas in there too seems to help the
more or less inherent lower gear noise level.  The GE dealer service
notes released after production say 'jack it up.  Likely the reason that
most of these trannys are noisy in the 'most often used' gears,
insufficient and later on, water contaminated lube from the very
beginning.
    The front of the tractor in other (gas) brands that used it may have
been lower.  Incidentally, these trannys can have a mechanical reverse
installed in em. Get the manual, order the parts, install em.   But with
out electrics we don't need those parts, have instant reverse
electrically.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:29:09 -0700 (PDT) Kelly Williams <kelfy yahoo com>
writes:

--- David C Robie <mycroftxx1 juno com> wrote:

> Drain completely refill with 85 weight
> tranny-hypoid oil.
> Overfill it cause the original fill plug ws put in
> there too low.

I've read a little about this in the archives, and am
still a bit confused.  Did they really design the
transmission housing so that when the service
instructions say to fill to the plug, there's not
enough oil in it?  Do you have to hoist the front of
the tractor to drain it, then hoist the rear way up
high to fill it?  That downward-pointing fill hole
seems pretty unhandy.

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA