To: <rjkanary nauticom net>
Cc: <jerry38 alltel net>; <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 1:58 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) Update

We called that 'dead short' stop 'motor plugging' and it's suppost to be
very bad juju for motors.   But it's the way that GE stops the deck
blades pretty much instantly when it's contactor drops out.  And it don't
hurt deck motors.  I did it before retirement on some robotic items such
as gearmoters running an underwater arm with grab and 3 axes of motion
and it didn't hurt em.    It only hurts Jerrys (ouch !).    Just don't
stand up when you drive, guy.
     Seriously, it could be of use to decelerate the tractor in higher
tranny gears as she would normally do in lower gears.  Take out the short
(go ahead, ask 'short what?')  but in it's place put in a kinda hefty low
value resistor such as an old electric iron turned on 'high or 'steam'.
This could be area of experimentation that could improve Etractordom, as
we all know how useless and fast wearing down that Peerless disc brake,
designed for a much lighter tractor is in high gear or even third..  Let
that back EMF instead of stopping her dead slow her down faster than just
an open circuit there would.  To stop her in a high gear now we got to
'stage down' thru the electrical speeds way ahead of her stop. This way
would make 'stop' have some (not ultimate, as per Jerry) 'power off'
braking action too.
    This is not true regen, as true regen uses the back EMF to charge
the battery.  Very little charge could come from a tractor but on a
fullsize road EV it can increase range a few percent and in city stop n
go driving saves a lot of wear on the brake linings of a heavier than
normal vehicle.
    If it Twer me, would play with that a little bit.  A lot of
inventions happened because someone did something wrong and good things
came out of it. Wasn't the telegraph invented that way?  And Irish Spring
soap?

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:59:57 -0400 "RJ Kanary" <rjkanary nauticom net>