Re: (ET) new relay in- now no reverse

RJ, yup, it's a DC relay. See http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006080216301211&item=11-2382&catname= I'll check the resistance in both directions to make sure it's not directional though - will need to borrow an old analog ohmmeter from work. Interesting point about the SCR on card 1 being what would be taken out - see the post I just sent just before yours - I think I've narrowed it down to the SCR being the problem, just trying to make sure I'm looking at the right SCR (since they aren't labelled on my card. Based onlocation and trying to look at the etchings on the backside without removing the card, I think the one just under pin 8 is SCR 106, the one its directly connected to, but I'm not positive).
        If SCR 106 is dead, the plan then becomes:
1. Temporarily jumper pins 8 and 9 together, with a 10A fuse between them (I've put a 10A fuse on wire 11 coming out of the reverse relay to protect it also) so I can mow the lawn tomorrow. Be very careful to wait a while before going between forward and reverse.

2. Order a replacement SCR (is this something Harrold carries, or should I just go through Newark?), remove all wires from card 1, remove card 1, replace the SCR and while the card is out, check every other component on there and "freshen up" the connection points.

3. Order a REAL reverse relay instead of a replacement part that (1) isn't very well built (now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the first of these relays I put in was shorted across the coil connections, and presumably is what fried SCR 106 or something else on card 1), (2) is HUGE, and thus very difficult to fit in the same spot the real relay goes, (3) uses screw on connections instead of spade connectors. Ugh.

4. Put everything back in, and hope something else doesn't fry. :)

Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs
UNH Physics Department